Tuesday, February 8, 2011

SCANDINAVIAN COOKIES

When I was growing up I loved these rosette cookies and would pick them as the Family Home Evening treat almost every time it was my turn.


A few days ago, while cleaning out my pantry, I came across the tools to make the cookies and decided I should make them for my family. I have fond memories of my mom instructing me on how to make them. (I even remembered through all the years).

Some of my kids liked them, some didn't, but my husband loved them and ate quite a few. Here's a recipe if you're interested...


Ingredients

  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions

  1. Combine eggs, sugar and salt; beat well. Add remaining ingredients and beat until smooth.
  2. Heat a rosette iron in deep, hot oil (400 degrees) for 2 minutes.
  3. Drain excess oil from iron. Dip in batter to 1/4 inch from the top of the iron, then dip iron immediately into hot oil (400 degrees).
  4. Fry rosette until golden, about 30 seconds. Rosette will fall off iron as it cooks.
  5. Reheat iron 1 minute; make next rosette.
  6. Sprinkle rosettes with confectioners' sugar or cinnamon sugar. Yum!

No comments: